A United Way Day of Caring® is a unique and rewarding opportunity for community groups or employees to come together and work on a meaningful project in our community. Day of Caring® kicks off with an opening ceremony with a casual breakfast and remarks from local agencies. Pictures are posted throughout the day and afterwards a video of the event is share via social media. By the end of the project you will be able to see, and will have learned first-hand, how your time impacts children, families and seniors in our community. Our volunteers actively improve our community while having an unforgettable and valuable team building experience.
2019 Day of Caring took place Saturday June 15th with activities at various agency sites and at the Truro Farmers’ Market. Volunteers along with their families joined and help accomplish projects for local agencies and initiatives – thanks to everyone for a job well done! Way to show your local love
Since 2016 the Community Credit Union has been the presenting sponsor for our Community Wide Day of Caring. We’re very grateful to have their involvement – they love local!
Why Get Involved?
All volunteering efforts, big and small are vital to the well being of our community. Working together you will make a visible and real impact in your community, by supporting one of the many community service organizations that are working to improve the quality of life right here where you live. You will also learn about the agency and the important services they provide to the community.
Volunteering can increase team morale, create closer family bonds, and help create positive exposure for you in the community. And it’s fun!
How a Day of Caring® Works
- A list of projects will be provided for you to choose from. If you have an idea for a project that is not on our list, please let us know and we will see if there is a need for this kind of project among our agency partners.
- Most projects are a half-day or a full-day in length. Half-day projects are 4 hours or less. Full-day projects are approximately 6 or more hours. Some larger projects may span over multiple days.
- Projects are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- While our Community Day of Caring® program takes place on one day, there are often opportunities for Day of Caring® projects year-round.
- Most projects require two to four weeks of planning. Larger, more complex projects (such as painting or construction projects, where site visits need to be conducted and supplies must be purchased) may require more time to plan.
- Day of Caring® projects is meant for groups. Most projects require anywhere from 4 to 8 individuals. There may be exceptions, but please note it is more challenging to match a project with a larger group of volunteers since space at agencies can be limited and there may not be enough work to keep larger teams busy for a number of hours.
- All volunteers are required to sign volunteer applications and individual Media Release forms that allow us to take pictures at the Day of Caring®.
Interested? Call us at 902 895-9313 or email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org