The United Way of Colchester County has been an active and respected community organization in Colchester County since the 1950’s.
Through the years, the name has changed from Community Chest to United Appeal to United Way. In the ’50s and ’60s, fund-raising campaigns were conducted door to door under the Red Feather banner. The money raised since 1952 has been distributed to individuals, community groups, and organizations to help face the challenges in their lives.
In the late ’70s, United Ways across North America gained access to payroll deduction in workplaces. Currently, one hundred plus volunteers are active in fundraising campaigns conducted in over 80 workplaces across Colchester County. The funds collected are distributed locally to programs and services in our community.
To improve lives and build community by engaging individuals and mobilizing collective action.
Our Three Focus Areas:
From poverty to possibility
- Moving people out of poverty
- Meeting basic human needs (ex: food, shelter, jobs)
Healthy people, strong communities
- Improving access to social and health-related support services
- Supporting resident and community engagement
- Supporting community integration and settlement
All that kids can be
- Improving access to early childhood learning and development programs
- Helping kids do well at school and complete high school
- Making the healthy transition into adulthood and post-secondary education
Our Strategies to make a positive impact in Colchester County
- Engage and mobilize community (through dollars, influence, time, knowledge and action)
- Address underlying causes
- Strengthen the network of services and capacity of non-profit and community
- Influence public attitudes, systems and policy
Vision, Mission, and Principles
Our Mission: To improve lives and build community by engaging individuals and mobilizing collective action.
Our Vision: Create opportunities for a better life for everyone in our communities.Our Principles: Demonstrate trust, integrity, transparency, inclusivity, and respect. Energize and inspire volunteerism and volunteer leadership. Endorses innovation, partnerships, collective action. Provide non-partisan leadership. Embrace diversity.
United Way of Colchester County’s Registered Charity Number: 11927 8489 RR0001